Watch out! Chestnuts are highly poisonous to dogs!

0
24
Watch out! Chestnuts are highly poisonous to dogs!


The chestnuts lying between autumn leaves are tempting to pick them up and throw them like a ball to the dog walking with us. Many pet owners allow their pets to carry them in their mouths and even eat them … It turns out, however, that chestnuts are one of the most dangerous autumn threats for a dog! What can happen to a dog that eats a chestnut?

Are chestnuts poisonous?

The horse chestnut tree is a tree that almost everyone passes every day while walking. However, not everyone knows that this plant contains extremely toxic compounds – saponins. They are found throughout the tree – its bark, leaves and thorny fruits. However, the seeds known as chestnuts contain the highest concentration of this poison. Eating even one chestnut can severely poison an adult and lead to death! Domestic quadrupeds are also sensitive to the toxic effects of saponins, as they can become poisoned even if they do not eat the seeds, but only chew them. How to recognize the symptoms of poisoning and help a dog that has eaten chestnuts?

Symptoms of chestnut poisoning

The first symptoms of poisoning are usually visible 6 hours after eating the chestnut. As a result, keepers are often unable to find the cause of their pet’s condition. Contact with small amounts of saponins usually causes gastrointestinal disturbances in dogs – vomiting, drooling, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Eating more poison, on the other hand, can cause neurological disorders. These include, but are not limited to, motor coordination disorders, convulsions, seizures, and coma. Untreated poisoning can lead to the death of the pet.

How to help a dog that has eaten a chestnut?

We should carefully observe the dog that has chewed the chestnut, and if we notice any disturbing symptoms, take it to the vet. If we see that our quadruped eats a chestnut, we must immediately contact the nearest clinic. In light poisoning, it may be enough to give the dog activated charcoal (according to the dosage from the veterinarian) or to induce vomiting. Serious poisoning will require the administration of drips and medications to protect the pet’s gastrointestinal tract.

Author: Aleksandra Prochocka

ZOSTAW ODPOWIEDŹ

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here