Nutella for a dog. Can a dog eat nutella?

0
18
Nutella for a dog. Can a dog eat nutella?


This nut cream has a huge fan base. And not just among children! Nutella is an excellent addition to sandwiches, pancakes, cakes, waffles … Suitable for practically everything we want to eat sweet. However, can our dog eat nutella with us? Or at least lick a spoon after it? Let’s see!

What does nutella contain?

Sugar, palm oil, hazelnuts, milk and cocoa are the main ingredients of nutella loved by all. It consists of up to 56% of simple sugars and 30% of fat, while proteins contain only 6%. 100 g of this creamy pleasure has 539 kcal – the same as a whole bar of chocolate. Should we know the composition of Nutella, should we give it to a home quadruped?

the dog can eat nutella
photo: Shutterstock

Can a dog eat nutella?

Nutella is not a suitable dog treat! Like all sweets containing the dog’s toxic cocoa (theobromine), nutella can cause serious poisoning in quadrupeds resulting in vomiting, internal bleeding, convulsions, and even death of the pet. However, it is difficult to determine how toxic nutella is in this respect – on its packaging we will not find information about the content of cocoa. In addition to this ingredient, the sweet spread contains a huge amount of sugar, which can result in obesity, kidney problems and diabetes. However, such a high dose of fat, which is even in a small teaspoon of nutella, often causes dehydrating diarrhea in dogs and can cause pancreatitis. In contrast, the milk contained in this delicacy is a common allergen in domestic pets.

What to do if your dog manages to eat nutella?

A single licking of the nutella spoon will probably not cause much harm to your quadruped. So you don’t have to go to the vet with your pet right away if you notice that your pet has been in contact with this chocolate cream. In this case, however, you will need to carefully observe the quadruped’s behavior – high agitation or sudden apathy, diarrhea or vomiting may indicate nutella poisoning. A dog with such symptoms should immediately be taken to the clinic, inform the veterinarian about the situation and follow the advice of a specialist. In poisoning, it may be necessary to induce vomiting, give him activated charcoal, and even connect the animal to an IV. However, you must not take these steps yourself without the recommendation of a veterinarian, because improperly used can harm the animal more than help.

Author: Aleksandra Prochocka

ZOSTAW ODPOWIEDŹ

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here